Small earthquake recorded in Payne County
Small earthquake reported in Oklahoma's Payne County
RIPLEY — The U. S. Geological Survey reports a small earthquake has been recorded near Ripley in southern Payne County.
The county sheriff's office says there are no reports of injury or damage.
The Geological Survey says the 2.8 magnitude quake was recorded at 10:46 a.m. Sunday near the town about 15 miles southeast of Stillwater and about 50 miles west of Tulsa.
Geologists say earthquakes of magnitude 2.5 to 3.0 are general the smallest that are felt by humans.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 58670Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 34839Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 32331Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 11019Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad
- 8824Wild hogs continue to be a growing menace across Oklahoma
- 5821Oklahoma City Thunder: What could Serge Ibaka learn from Hakeem Olajuwon?
- 3796OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins