Oklahoma football: Landry Jones' career comes full circle
The OU senior quarterback's last game as a Sooner will be in the Cotton Bowl at Cowboys Stadium, where he took his first OU snaps in relief of Sam Bradford.
NORMAN — Landry Jones hasn't quarterbacked a season-ending defeat since 2005, when the Oklahoma senior was an Artesia High School sophomore.
Videoview all videos
Dec 18Berry Tramel and Jason Kersey look ahead to the Sooners'...
Dec 18OU's head coach talks about the challenge that lies...
Dec 17Each time Metoyer wanted to quit, he leaned on those...
Dec 4Will Saunders be suspended because of his arrest?
Photoview all photos
NewsOK Related Articles
Two New Mexico state titles, a redshirt season and three bowl victories later, Jones prepares for Jan. 4's Cotton Bowl Classic — the 50th and final start of his prolific college football career.
To win his sixth consecutive season finale as a starting quarterback, he'll have to beat Texas A&M inside Cowboys Stadium, the same venue in which Jones took the first snap of his Sooner football tenure.
A BYU linebacker leveled Sam Bradford just before halftime of OU's 2009 season opener, knocking the returning Heisman Trophy winner from the game with a sprained shoulder.
Jones played the entire second half, completing 6 of 12 passes for 51 yards in a 14-13 loss.
The day after Oklahoma's 2012-13 bowl destination was announced, Whitney Hand, Jones' wife, reminded him that his OU career will begin and end in the same stadium.
“She said how interesting it was to see how I've come full circle here,” Jones said.
Within the first few minutes of the third quarter against BYU, Jones completed a 13-yard pass to Brandon Caleb.
Thirty-eight months, 16,353 passing yards, 2,135 pass attempts and 1,352 completions later, Jones owns school records in all three — and conference records in the first two — statistical categories.
“He was genuinely excited to play and looking forward to it; that's what you love,” Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops said of Jones' halftime demeanor in the BYU game.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 21543Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10852Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 8707Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 8666Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 8648Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 7837Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 7718Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister