Oklahoma City parents sentenced to 30 years in prison for starving their infant
Alysha Marie Anderson, 20, and Miguel Ontonio Soto, 21, pleaded guilty to second-degree murder charges in the June 3 death of 3-month-old Nicole Soto.
A judge sentenced an Oklahoma City couple to 30 years in prison and 15 years probation for starving their 3-month-old daughter to death.
Alysha Marie Anderson, 20, and Miguel Ontonio Soto, 21, pleaded guilty to second-degree murder charges in the June 3 death of Nicole Soto.
The infant was unresponsive when taken to a hospital and was pronounced dead because of starvation.
A doctor told police the baby appeared to be a victim of neglect and weighed only 3 pounds.
Medical staff said she weighed 6 pounds and 8 ounces at birth and did not have any medical problems.
The couple told police they forgot to feed the girl on numerous occasions, according to court documents. Neither parent commented in court Wednesday.
Police said the couple's two other children, a 22-month-old girl and 3-year-old boy, were taken into protective custody.
At the hospital, officers said the children appeared unkempt.
Prosecutors agreed to dismiss two child neglect charges filed against each of the parents in exchange for their guilty pleas on the murder charges.
During a search of the couple's apartment at 1656 SW 15, an investigator found that the home was filthy and infested with cockroaches. The bed sheets for the children were covered in filth and heavily stained, police said.
Officers also found rotting food in the refrigerator and one broken baby bottle in the home, police said.
Prosecutors said the children will likely be adopted by relatives of the couple.
See our commenting and posting policy.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 12287Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 11384Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 6956Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 6508Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 4900Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4357OU softball: Sooners inspired by Casey Angle, run-rule Texas A&M
- 3734Oklahoma City pastor will face trial in fatal shooting of son-in law