Devon Energy's Larry Nichols named Oklahoman of the Year
Devon Energy Corp. Executive Chairman Larry Nichols has been named Oklahoman of the Year by Oklahoma Today magazine.
Larry Nichols is honored
Devon Energy Corp. Executive Chairman Larry Nichols has been named 2012 Oklahoman of the Year by Oklahoma Today magazine.
“I was absolutely stunned by this award,” Nichols said. “If you look at the list of people that have received this award, it is a very impressive list of past honorees.”
Nichols received the award largely because of his efforts to improve downtown Oklahoma City through the new Devon Energy Center and his efforts to use increased tax revenue in the area to improve the Myriad Gardens and downtown Oklahoma City streets, Oklahoma Today Editor Steffie Corcoran said. “He has made such an investment in our community and state, we felt like he should be acknowledged for that.”
The magazine was especially impressed that Devon's restaurants, coffee shops and other spaces are open to the public, Corcoran said.
“We did not want Devon to be walled off from the community,” Nichols said. “We wanted it to be a part of the city and embrace the city as much as it could.”
Adam Wilmoth, Energy Editor
Business Photo Galleriesview all
- 13316Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 11704Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 5428Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 5363Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4511OU softball: Sooners inspired by Casey Angle, run-rule Texas A&M
- 4209Oklahoma City pastor will face trial in fatal shooting of son-in law
- 3958How to help tornado victims