College football and the NFL: Looking back at previous mentor-protege matchups
Throughout football history, lots of coaches have matched wits with former assistants. Among them: Woody Hayes coached against Bo Schembechler, Tommy Bowden coached against his father, Bobby Bowden.
NORMAN — Throughout football history, lots of coaches have matched wits with former assistants who went on to lead their own teams.
Here's a sampling of notable games or series where coaching mentors and their proteges clashed.
Videoview all videos
Dec 20Brad writes, “Is Adrian Peterson OU's best NFL player...
Photoview all photos
NewsOK Related Articles
WOODY HAYES VS. BO SCHEMBECHLER
Schembechler played for Hayes at Miami (Ohio), and was a Hayes assistant at Ohio State before becoming head coach at archrival Michigan.
Hayes and Schembechler clashed 10 times from 1969-78; the apprentice held a slight, 5-4-1 edge in the meetings.
Each season from 1999-2007, Florida State's Bobby Bowden coached against his son, Clemson coach Tommy Bowden, in what became known as the “Bowden Bowl.”
Tommy Bowden, who was once an assistant under his dad at Florida State, went 4-5 against his father.
BOB STOOPS VS. BILL SNYDER
Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops was a Kansas State assistant under Bill Snyder for seven seasons (1989-95).
Since Stoops became the Sooners' coach in 1999, he's faced Snyder's Wildcats nine times, going 7-2 in those games.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 21368Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 17546Oklahoma City Thunder: Amnesty Kendrick Perkins?
- 12345Rockets guard Patrick Beverley bombarded with hateful Tweets after Thunder get eliminated
- 9430Report: OSU blocking Wes Lunt from transferring to the SEC, Big 12 and Southern Miss
- 9175Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 9080Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 8212Tulsa man tells police he smashed woman's head in self-defense