High school basketball: Northeast girls take down Midwest City
Top-ranked Northeast routs Midwest City in finals of Mid-Del Holiday Invitational
Northeast let the rest of Class 2A girls basketball know exactly the challenge that stands ahead.
The top-ranked Class 2A Vikings finished off a three-game run against top-10 teams from Class 5A and 6A with a 61-39 win over Midwest City in the finals of the Mid-Del Holiday Invitational Saturday night at Midwest City.
With pressure defense and attacking offense, Northeast pushed 6A No. 6 Midwest City from the start, jumping to a 12-0 lead five minutes into the game.
“There's more trust this year,” Northeast coach Londaryl Perry said. “Last year, I was new to the girls and I was trying to get them to trust me and believe in me. I was trying to learn them and fine-tune some things. Now, I think we're on the same page.”
Northeast defeated 5A No. 6 Del City and 6A No. 2 Bixby to reach the finals.
LaNesia Williams and T'ona Edwards each had 19 points to lead the Vikings Saturday as they improved to 11-0.
MIDWEST CITY BOYS TAKE CROWN
Midwest City coach Dewayne Bradley said earlier in the week he didn't think his team had played up to its defensive potential, but Saturday's performance had to be close.
The Bombers frustrated Mustang's young backcourt with its trapping, pressure defense, rolling to a 101-72 victory in the boys championship of the Mid-Del Holiday Invitational.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 12316OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 7699Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 6657Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 6438Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 5739Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 4894Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 4675Soaring gasoline prices hurt Oklahoma City area retailers