Strict gun control laws could have terrifying results
When Wayne LaPierre, executive vice president of the National Rifle Association, suggests a cop or security guard be placed in every school, the talking heads are quick to point out how unreasonably expensive that would be. What would be far more expensive is implementing the very strict gun control laws President Obama envisions. Worse yet, in order to be effective in preventing the private transfer of firearms, magazines and ammunition, the police state apparatus that would have to be put into effect would require explosive government growth and the effective abolition of Fourth and Fifth Amendment rights of all Americans. We would see any right to privacy of communications vanish, as federal law enforcement would demand access to everyone's mail and electronic communications. Unwarranted home searches would become commonplace, since the justification would be to find unregistered firearms. The weapons black market would grow enormously, and every citizen would become a suspect. Even the First Amendment would not protect people engaging in innocent communications like this one if the government thought it implied unlawful action.
NewsOK Related Articles
People always seem to overlook the unintended consequences of well meaning acts, and the current path of gun-control thinking has truly terrifying results if we aren't careful.
Pat Kelley, Oklahoma City
Readers wishing to respond to a letter to the editor can submit a response.
Voices Photo Galleriesview all
- 13258OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 7144Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 7131Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 6694Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 6025Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 5256Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 5146Soaring gasoline prices hurt Oklahoma City area retailers