Oklahoma State football: Josh Stewart returns first punt return of season for 64 yards
DALLAS — Josh Stewart had already blossomed into Oklahoma State's go-to receiver, earning All-Big 12 honors after tallying 96 catches and more than 1,000 yards during the regular season.
Videoview all videos
Jan 2Clint Chelf threw three touchdown passes and the OSU...
Jan 1Jenni Carlson and Gina Mizell on how things got out of...
Photoview all 64 photos
NewsOK Related Articles
But in Tuesday's Heart of Dallas Bowl victory over Purdue, Stewart added another duty — punt returner.
Stewart's first punt return of the season was a 64-yarder, sparking the Cowboys en route to a 58-14 rout.
Stewart talked about that play, as well as who should start at quarterback for the Cowboys next season.
What was going through your mind on that first punt return?
“My first thought was, ‘Catch it.' I'm not worried about after I catch it. I'm worried about securing the ball and making sure I get in there and try to get my team in good field position. When I caught it, (I was) just looking around to see what plays I could make. I just caught it, turned around and I kind of saw a dude in my face. It was all collapsing on me, so I tried to get around one dude. And I knew if I did, all my teammates were going to come and it was going to open it up for me, and it did. I tried my best to get in the end zone, but they had it cut off for me.”
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 35743Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 30080Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 9255Tornado levels homes in trailer park
- 7252Wild hogs continue to be a growing menace across Oklahoma
- 6705OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins
- 3930Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 3921OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures