House explodes in southwest Oklahoma City
No casualties; one person was treated at the scene. The house was destroyed and surrounding houses had significant damage.
A woman was pulled from her home by an Oklahoma Natural Gas worker after a gas explosion Thursday afternoon, authorities said.
The woman — identified only as in her 60s — was making cookies about 5 p.m. when the explosion rocked the southwest Oklahoma City home, 9208 S Villa Ave., fire Deputy Chief Marc Woodard said.
Videoview all videos
Jan 3A house exploded in southwest Oklahoma City on Thursday,...
Photoview all 13 photos
An ONG employee investigating the smell of gas in the area ran into the back door of the flaming home and brought her to safety, he said.
The woman was treated at the scene, but refused to be taken to the hospital, Woodard said.
“This one employee for Oklahoma Natural Gas literally jumped the fence of the house next door, ran behind the house, went in the back door because there was fire in the front and got her out. She was inside the kitchen baking cookies and (he) rescued her, so very heroic on his part,” he said.
“She is the only person with injuries. … No fatalities. It's a miracle that there wasn't. Usually when you have something like this, you have several fatalities due to the amount of pressure in the explosion that you have,” Woodard said.
The cause of the explosion is under investigation.
Walter Mitchell lives three doors west of the house that exploded.
“I was sitting there watching TV, and all of a sudden the house shook like crazy, a concussion-type thing,” he said.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 12959Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 12915Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 12323OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 10047Report: OSU blocking Wes Lunt from transferring to the SEC, Big 12 and Southern Miss
- 8563Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 6689Oklahoma City Thunder: Amnesty Kendrick Perkins?
- 6158Rockets guard Patrick Beverley bombarded with hateful Tweets after Thunder get eliminated