Oklahoma scene: Barons forward Ryan Nugent-Hopkins named top forward at world juniors
Forward Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, playing with the Barons during the NHL lockout, was named the top forward at the 2013 world junior championships played in Ufa, Russia.
Nugent-Hopkins, the overall No. 1 pick in the 2010 NHL draft, scored 15 points, including four goals, in six games for Team Canada, which failed to medal. Canada lost 6-5 to host Russia on Saturday in the bronze medal game.
The United States won the gold medal Saturday, beating Sweden 3-1 in the final.
Before leaving last month for the junior world championships, Nugent-Hopkins scored 20 points in 19 games with the Barons. Nugent-Hopkins will either rejoin the Barons or report to Edmonton to play for the Oilers if owners and the NHL Players Association reach an agreement.
Nugent-Hopkins, 19, was named team captain for Canada in the Under-20 world junior tournament.
Nine players on the Barons' current roster have represented their countries at the world junior championships.
Taylor Hall, Jordan Eberle, Colten Teubert, Olivier Roy and Curtis Hamilton also have played for Canada. Magnus Paajarvi and Anton Lander have played for Sweden. Teemu Hartikainen played for Finland and Martin Marincin for Slovakia.
SOONERS TOP CYCLONES
The Oklahoma wrestling team held on for a 19-15 win over Big 12 rival Iowa State at McCasland Field House.
With the win, Oklahoma improved to 5-3 on the year in dual competition and 1-1 in the Big 12.
OU redshirt sophomore Cody Brewer, wrestling at 125 pounds, wrapped up the victory as he beat Iowa State's John Meeks 6-2.
Kendric Maple, the nation's top-ranked 141-pounder, scored a 12-0 major decision over Iowa State's Luke Goettl.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 78259Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 30507Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 26600Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad
- 26566Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 7397Bounty hunters look for bail jumpers, fugitives on the streets of Oklahoma City
- 7041Oklahoma City Thunder: What could Serge Ibaka learn from Hakeem Olajuwon?
- 6928Oklahoma tornadoes: Several homes damaged by tornado, but no injuries in Edmond