Embezzlement suspected at Stillwater church
STILLWATER (AP) — Police in Stillwater are investigating the suspected embezzlement of more than $140,000 from First United Methodist Church.
Senior Pastor Mike Chaffin told the Stillwater NewsPress that questionable practices were uncovered during an audit in December of the church's financial records and police were notified.
Police Capt. Randy Dickerson says the amount of money thought to have been embezzled continues to rise as police investigate. Dickerson says a church employee is a suspect — but no charges have been filed.
Authorities say it appears the suspected embezzlement occurred from 2010 to 2012.
See our commenting and posting policy.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 10457Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 9286Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 5848Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4983Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 4420Oklahoma City pastor will face trial in fatal shooting of son-in law
- 4301Oklahoma tornadoes: Price family recovering after some heavy blows
- 4216How to help tornado victims