Report: Jake Spavital named Texas A&M quarterback coach, will be Johnny Manziel's position coach
Former Tulsa Union quarterback and Oklahoma State assistant coach Jake Spavital has been named Texas A&M's quarterbacks coach, according to a report from CBSSports.com.
Spavital has spent most of his collegiate coaching career at the side of West Virginia coach Dana Holgorsen — coaching at Houston, Oklahoma State and WVU.
“I am grateful for the opportunity that Dana has given me in my career,” Spavital told CBSSports.com's Bruce Feldman. “And I'm excited to get to A&M and continue with the success that they've had.”
Spavital is an up-and-comer in college football, having worked with quarterbacks like OSU's Brandon Weeden and WVU's Geno Smith. Now, he'll get to work with a guy that already has a Heisman Trophy — A&M's Johnny Manziel.
Spavital replaces Kliff Kingsbury, who is now the head coach at Texas Tech.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 100558Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 15302OKC Thunder: Kevin Durant tours Moore, meets with residents
- 13338Oklahoma tornadoes: ‘All I could do was sit there and hold her'
- 8709Line of storms brings flash floods to Oklahoma City area
- 8075Oklahoma tornadoes: Love for Oklahoma generates big donation
- 8036How to help tornado victims
- 7986Oklahoma tornadoes: Rams quarterback Sam Bradford leading aid effort