Students head back to class at Oklahoma colleges and universities
Monday marked the first day of the spring semester at many colleges and universities across the state, including the University of Oklahoma and the University of Central Oklahoma. Although final enrollment numbers are still weeks away, both universities are expecting enrollment increases.
NORMAN — Last week, Alex Mach was one of only a few students on campus at the University of Oklahoma.
But when classes started Monday, Mach said the difference was obvious.
Videoview all videos
Jan 14Monday marked the first day of the spring semester at...
Photoview all photos
Monday marked the first day of the spring semester at many colleges and universities across the state, including OU and the University of Central Oklahoma.
Mach, 22, of Oklahoma City, has an on-campus job with OU Information Technology, meaning he had to be back on campus earlier than most students.
“Parking was really easy until today,” he said Monday.
Mach, a microbiology major, has a semester left before he graduates. He's applying to medical schools, he said, including OU College of Medicine, Oklahoma State University Center for Health Sciences in Tulsa and a few out of state.
Although he has definite plans, Mach said graduation still seems a world away. His time at OU has gone by more quickly than he expected, he said.
“I'm kind of on cruise control for now,” he said.
Although enrollment numbers won't be finalized for about three weeks, OU officials are projecting an enrollment increase over the spring 2012 semester.
Matt Hamilton, OU's registrar and vice president for enrollment and student financial services, said the Norman campus' enrollment stood at 21,667 on Monday, an increase of about 1 percent over the 21,504 students who were enrolled on the first day of the spring 2012 semester.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 15391Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 9463Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 8117Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 7214Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 6364Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister
- 6332Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 6331Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit