Northwestern Oklahoma State University mourns loss of rodeo team member
Rylee Miller, 21, died Monday when her sport utility vehicle crossed into oncoming traffic and collided with a tractor trailer. She was a member of the Northwestern Oklahoma State University rodeo team.
ALVA — Rylee Miller was just beginning to feel at home.
Miller, 21, left home in Brookeville, Kan., last summer to start her first year at Northwestern Oklahoma State University after she earned a scholarship to ride with the Rangers rodeo team.
She died Monday when her sport utility vehicle crossed into oncoming traffic on a Woods County road and collided with a tractor-trailer, the Oklahoma Highway Patrol reported.
Rodeo coach Stockton Graves said Miller had come to Northwestern with a lot of energy. She was ready to ride as a Ranger and was excited by the prospect of gaining another set of family and friends in Alva.
“These were cowboys and cowgirls, and we are a real tight-knit community,” Graves said. “The team was saying last night that they might not have known her real well, but they could tell she felt at home.”
Graves said he gathered his team Monday night to deliver the news.
“We had a team meeting last night, and we brought the counselors in so if anyone needed to talk they could,” he said. “I think they are coping well. We shared stories and just tried to remember Rylee as she was. She always had a smile on her face, and she was happy with her situation and that she was getting to rodeo.”
See our commenting and posting policy.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 35920Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 15377Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 9806Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 9680Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 9189Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 7926Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 7748Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister