Stillwater firefighters rescue three during apartment fire Thursday
Three people were rescued from the second-story of a Stillwater apartment during a fire Thursday morning two blocks east of the Oklahoma State University campus. Three dogs died in the fire.
STILLWATER — Firefighters rescued three people during a blaze at an apartment building Thursday morning in Stillwater. Six Oklahoma State University students were displaced after the fire.
Fire crews responded about 7:50 a.m. to a fire at a four-unit apartment building at 111 N Duck St., two blocks east of the OSU campus.
The building's ground floor was engulfed in flames, Battalion Chief Tommy Miller said. Heavy black smoke was billowing out of a second-story window, he said.
Firefighters evacuated three people from an apartment on the second floor, Miller said. Those residents were taken to Stillwater Medical Center, where they were treated for smoke inhalation and released.
Stillwater Fire Marshal Trent Hawkins said the fire was caused by a candle that was left burning in a bedroom.
All occupants on the first floor had evacuated by the time firefighters arrived, Miller said. Three dogs on the first floor died in the fire, he said.
American Red Cross of Central and Western Oklahoma Region volunteers are working with the students to provide assistance, spokesman Ken Garcia said.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 90847Oklahoma weather: Severe storm updates
- 38051Oklahoma devastated by second round of twisters
- 25585Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 23461Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad
- 13823Oklahoma City tornado so large, may not be recognized, officials say
- 12196Several kids pulled out of Oklahoma school rubble alive
- 11468How to help tornado victims