High school basketball roundup: McGuinness strong in 7th straight win
Stephen Amalong scored 12 points to lead the No. 2-ranked Irish to a 52-26 rout of Tulsa Cascia Hall in Hoops 4 Hope benefit.
Bishop McGuinness guard Stephen Amalong tried to learn as much as he could from the strong senior leaders the Irish had during their championship run last season.
Now, the junior is implementing what he saw as McGuinness tries to return to the top of Class 5A.
Amalong scored 12 points to lead the second-ranked Irish to a 52-26 win over Cascia Hall in Hoops 4 Hope to benefit Catholic Charities on Friday at Mount St. Mary.
Amalong hit a pair of early 3-pointers as the Irish built a quick lead and coasted to their seventh straight victory.
“Those guys last year taught me a lot, and the seniors on this year's team are really good leaders, too,” Amalong said. “We've needed some guys to step up and keep building on what we have.”
DEFENSE CARRIES MOUNT ST. MARY
Kaely Bond had 20 points as the Mount St. Mary girls rolled past Tulsa Kelley 56-36 at Hoops 4 Hope.
Aimee Rischard added 11 points in the win, but it wasn't about offense for the Rockets.
Constant defensive pressure helped St. Mary create turnovers and easy baskets to build a big first-half lead.
“This was the first time we've really put four quarters together,” Rockets coach Rory Hamilton said. “It starts and stops for us on defense, when we guard and rebound and give ourselves a chance for fast-break opportunities.
“I really liked how we were aggressive getting to the basket and getting to the free throw line a lot more than what we usually do.”
MORRIS, YOUNG LIFT MEMORIAL
Shaquille Morris and Aaron Young continue to pick up the slack for injured point guard Jordan Woodard, carrying No. 2 Edmond Memorial to a 63-51 win at Westmoore.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 85341Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 16721OKC Thunder: Kevin Durant tours Moore, meets with residents
- 12445Oklahoma tornadoes: ‘All I could do was sit there and hold her'
- 12075Clippers' Donald Sterling hints coach let go to keep Chris Paul
- 11152Oklahoma tornado: Names of dead released; missing individuals located
- 9705Oklahoma tornadoes: Red Cross text donations not designated for Oklahoma
- 9037How to help tornado victims