Oklahoma National Guardsman faces fraud charges in Logan County
Oklahoma Army National Guard Pfc. Nicholas Heskett, 20, is accused of going door to door in his military uniform asking for donations for wounded soldiers and to provide soldiers with care packages, the Logan County sheriff's office reported.
GUTHRIE — A member of the Oklahoma Army National Guard has been charged with two counts of fraud in Logan County District Court, and authorities said there may be additional victims.
Pfc. Nicholas Heskett, 20, went door to door in his military uniform asking for donations for wounded soldiers and money for soldier care packages, the Logan County sheriff's office reported.
Heskett has been absent without leave from the Guard for several months, guard spokesman Lt. Col. Max Moss said in a news release.
“It's our goal to make sure the public knows we don't send soldiers or airmen door to door asking for donations. If someone shows up at your door in a military uniform asking for money, you should advise law enforcement as soon as possible,” Moss said.
The Logan County district attorney on Jan. 15 filed two counts of obtaining money or property by false pretenses. Heskett had not been taken into custody as of Thursday.
Heskett is a member of the 45th Infantry Brigade Combat Team. Authorities said he wore his camouflage uniform complete with military patches to entice people to give him cash.
The incidents took place in Crescent and southern Logan County, and may have occurred also in Edmond and Oklahoma City, authorities said.
See our commenting and posting policy.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 14352Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 12637Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 11750OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 10003Report: OSU blocking Wes Lunt from transferring to the SEC, Big 12 and Southern Miss
- 8992Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 7499Oklahoma City Thunder: Amnesty Kendrick Perkins?
- 7296Rockets guard Patrick Beverley bombarded with hateful Tweets after Thunder get eliminated