Oklahoma scene: OU adds Arizona's leading home run hitter from last season
Transfer Shelby Pendley joins a powerful Oklahoma lineup that accounted for a Big 12-record 102 homers a year ago.
An already strong Oklahoma softball team added a huge transfer Thursday, when former Arizona infielder Shelby Pendley joined the Sooners.
Pendley, who led Arizona last season in home runs (19) and slugging percentage (. 703), becomes part of a potent OU lineup that hit a Big 12-record 102 homers last season. The Sooners finished runner-up in the Women's College World Series last spring — and 13 letter winners return, including power hitters Lauren Chamberlain (30 homers), Jessica Shults (20) and Keilani Ricketts (17).
Pendley was a first-team All-Pac 12 selection. She started 57 games at shortstop last season.
The sophomore from Rio Rancho, N.M., is eligible immediately.
“She has so much power, which is one of our strengths already, so adding her to the lineup potentially is lethal because you just can't throw around anybody to get to somebody else,” OU coach Patty Gasso said.
ASCS SCHEDULE ANNOUNCED
The American Sprint Car Series announced its Sooner Region schedule for the 2013 season. The season opener is April 13 at Kennedale Speedway Park in Texas; the first race in Oklahoma is set for April 19 at Creek County Speedway in Sapulpa. The schedule includes 14 point races in Oklahoma, including stops at Lawton Speedway, Mid-America Speedway in South Coffeyville, South 69 Speedway in Wainwright and Thunderbird Speedway in Muskogee. A complete schedule can be found on page 5C.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 12879Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 10775OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 6990Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 5542Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 5510Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 5081Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 4971OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins