Boys basketball roundup: Putnam City West fights off Millwood in overtime
Omega Harris' two free throws with 4.2 seconds remaining seals the win for Patriots.
It took overtime and a couple late free throws, but Putnam City West was able to get past a feisty Millwood team, 55-51 in the first round of the Carl Albert Invitational Thursday night.
Photoview all 12 photos
NewsOK Related Articles
Junior guard Omega Harris hit two free throws with 4.2 seconds left to seal the win for the Patriots, who advance to Friday's semifinals against host Carl Albert at 7 p.m. Friday.
After a steal and slam dunk by PC West's Latron Jolly late in regulation, it appeared Millwood was in trouble, but Mike Mayes was able to get to the free throw line for two shots to force overtime.
The Patriots took control of the extra period with a big 3-pointer by Jolly, but Millwood rallied to within 52-51 before the Patriots closed it out at the free throw line.
Jolly had five of his team-high 16 points in overtime, and Harris finished with 12. Millwood was led by Cameron Batson with 13 points and Briontae Irving had 12.
CAPITOL HILL HOLDS ON
Late in the third quarter of Capitol Hill's opener of the John Nobles Invitational Tournament at Moore, the Redskins had a double-digit lead and looked as if they'd cruise to the win.
But the Redskins had to hang on late, hitting free throws down the stretch to beat Southmoore 49-43.
“It's high school basketball,” Capitol Hill coach Donnie Tuley said. “You never know what's going to happen. They changed the momentum on us. They're a good basketball team and are going to beat some teams.”
Capitol Hill will take on Bishop McGuinness at 5:30 p.m. Friday in the semifinals.
In the closing seconds of the third quarter, Capitol Hill led 31-19. But helped in part by junior Preston Smith's four 3-pointers in the fourth, Southmoore came back to cut the lead to one in the final minute.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 12097Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 11309Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 6870Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 6485Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 4833Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4317OU softball: Sooners inspired by Casey Angle, run-rule Texas A&M
- 3653Oklahoma City pastor will face trial in fatal shooting of son-in law