Oklahoma basketball: Kansas runs past Sooners 67-54
LAWRENCE, Kan. — Romero Osby thought he was going to have a great game Saturday against Kansas.
But that wasn't the case, as the OU senior forward made only four of 16 field goals in Oklahoma's 67-54 loss to No. 3 Kansas.
NewsOK Related Articles
The loss moved the Sooners (13-5, 4-2 Big 12) into a three-way tie for third place in the Big 12 Conference.
Osby's lack of production did not just happen. Kansas senior Jeff Withey happened.
The Jayhawks' 7-foot center is one of the nation's best shot blockers. Saturday night, he had a debilitating effect on the Sooners, especially Osby.
For Osby, it was tough to get open. He constantly felt enveloped in Withey's 7-foot, 1 1/2 inch wingspan.
It was tough to get Withey to bite on a fake. It was tough, Osby said, to even see over him.
“Especially when he has his arms up,” said Osby, whose eye level was almost perfectly even with Withey's shoulders. “You can see around him because he's not real big, but it's hard to see over him.”
And for Osby, it was tough to keep Withey from getting in his head.
After making an early layup, Osby went up for a dunk with Oklahoma leading 5-4 and missed it.
When Osby's feet hit the court, he looked irritated and muttered under his breath.
Kansas scored the next five points.
Osby made only one other shot in the first half and had one shot blocked by Withey. The Sooners went into halftime down 29-21.
The second half, though, is when Withey's effect really took hold on Osby.
Osby opened the half 0 for 4 and didn't make a basket until the 11:21 mark.
“(Withey) always bothers people but I think I kind of let him get in my head a little bit that I had missed a couple shots,” Osby said. “It's just the fact that he's backing up off you and using his length. I wanted to shoot the jumper but I missed a couple in a row. That just means I have to get in the gym and work more on the shots.”
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 87014Oklahoma weather: Severe storm updates
- 81959Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 34908Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad
- 32757Oklahoma sucker-punched by second round of twisters
- 16053Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 13176Oklahoma City tornado so large, may not be recognized, officials say
- 10447Several kids pulled out of Oklahoma school rubble alive