Oklahoma basketball: Road doesn't get easier for Sooners in tough Big 12 stretch
The Sooners have lost two of three games already in a difficult seven-game stretch — and the next four opponents are Baylor, Iowa State, Kansas and Kansas State.
LAWRENCE, Kan. — After the Oklahoma basketball team's win over Texas Tech on Jan. 16, the Sooners began a seven-game stretch that they knew would be the worst part of this season's schedule.
After a 4-2 start to the Big 12 season, Oklahoma is in the middle of that rough stretch. Including Saturday's loss in Lawrence, Kan., the Sooners play five straight games against the top-four teams in the Big 12 — two of which are also top-25 programs in the country.
Three of those games are on the road. The Sooners' two home games are against No. 11 Kansas State and No. 3 Kansas — the programs that have handed OU its only Big 12 losses this season.
After that Texas Tech game, Sooner coaches were saying that a good way to come out of the seven-game stretch would be with a 3-4 record. So far, they're 1-2, with the only win coming against struggling Texas.
With the way the rest of Oklahoma's schedule is laid out, the Sooners could still be NCAA Tournament contenders, thanks to a strong start to the season. For a team looking to make the tournament, though, this tough stretch is the ideal measuring stick for the selection committee.
Here's a look at the Sooners' next four games:
At Baylor (6 p.m. Wednesday): The Sooners are back on the road in Waco, Texas, to face the Bears, who are currently alone in second place in the Big 12. ESPN basketball analyst Fran Fraschilla recently told The Oklahoman that with the way Kansas and Baylor are playing, the two teams will likely take the Big 12's top two spots, leaving a handful of teams fighting for third place. The Bears most likely take the victory.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 30612Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 15589Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 10266Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 9653Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 9634Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 8172Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister
- 8167Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena