Oklahoma City Thunder: Time will tell if new players make a difference for Memphis
The timing of the Rudy Gay trade couldn't have been worse for the Grizzlies. They've been anemic offensively all season and tried to keep pace with the NBA's highest-scoring team one night later.
Memphis coach Lionel Hollins was asked point-blank if trading away leading scorer Rudy Gay made the Grizzlies a weaker team.
Just as succinctly, Hollins fired back his answer.
Videoview all videos
Feb 1Russell Westbrook had 21 points, 9 rebounds, 6 assists...
Photoview all 19 photos
NewsOK Related Articles
“Time will tell,” Hollins said before Thursday night's game against the Thunder at Chesapeake Energy Arena.
Well, time ran out early for the Grizzlies as OKC hit its first nine shots and led wire-to-wire in a methodical 106-89 victory.
On Wednesday, the Grizzlies dumped salary by trading Gay and seldom-used center Hamed Haddadi to the Toronto Raptors in exchange for point guard Jose Calderon, forward Ed Davis and a second-round pick.
Memphis in turn sent Calderon to Detroit in exchange for veteran forward Tayshaun Prince and Austin Daye.
Davis, Prince and Daye underwent physical exams in Memphis on Thursday. All players involved in a trade must pass their physicals before they're allowed to play with their new team.
Eight days earlier, Memphis had traded forward Marreese Speights, guard Wayne Ellington, guard Josh Selby and a future first-round draft pick to Cleveland for forward Jon Leuer.
The timing of the Gay trade couldn't have been worse for the Grizzlies. They've been anemic offensively all season and tried to keep pace with the NBA's highest-scoring team one night later.
Even with Gay, Memphis ranked 27th in the league in scoring (93.4), 24th in field-goal percentage (. 437) and 24th in 3-point percentage (. 344).
Defense will now take on added importance for the Grizzlies (29-16), who started the season with an 8-1 record and were 18-6 at one point. Since then, they have gone 11-10.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
VIDEOS FROM NBA TV
Buy Tickets View all
- 13061Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 11652Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 5853Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 5268Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4547OU softball: Sooners inspired by Casey Angle, run-rule Texas A&M
- 4352Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 4093Oklahoma City pastor will face trial in fatal shooting of son-in law