Oklahoma City Barons: Jonathan Cheechoo ties franchise record during Barons rout
The former NHL All-Star had five points as Oklahoma City beats Checkers 7-3 at Cox Center
Barons general manager Bill Scott signed former NHL All-Star Jonathan Cheechoo after four Oilers stars returned to Edmonton when the lockout ended.
Photoview all photos
NewsOK Related Articles
Cheechoo tied the club record with five points Friday night in Oklahoma City's 7-3 win over Charlotte in front of 3,455 fans at the Cox Convention Center.
“We were just waiting to see when Jonathan was going to break out. Tonight was the night,” said Barons coach Todd Nelson. “Just like when Jordan (Eberle), Taylor (Hall) and Nuge (Ryan Nugent-Hopkins) were here, it took a few games for him to get used to the style of play. And Cheech hadn't played all year.”
Cheechoo has scored 170 NHL goals, including a league-leading 56 seven years ago with the San Jose Sharks. The 32-year-old right winger from Moose Factory, Ontario, has spent the past two seasons in the AHL.
“I knew they lost some guys here,” Cheechoo said. “This is a great opportunity. They have a great coach who gives us some freedom and lets us use our creativity.”
Oklahoma City's top forward line produced five goals. Mark Arcobello scored his 13th and 14th goals and had two assists. Philippe Cornet also scored two goals and added two assists.
Arcobello's first goal late in the first period tied the game 2-2. Cornet followed with a power-play goal to give OKC a lead it wouldn't relinquish.
“We got a few practices under our belt as a line,” Cheechoo said. “We're starting to feel a little more comfortable.”
The Barons have been hard pressed to produce consistent scoring since the “Fab Four” returned to Edmonton.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 101218Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 15357OKC Thunder: Kevin Durant tours Moore, meets with residents
- 13402Oklahoma tornadoes: ‘All I could do was sit there and hold her'
- 8724Line of storms brings flash floods to Oklahoma City area
- 8110How to help tornado victims
- 8098Oklahoma tornadoes: Love for Oklahoma generates big donation
- 8041Oklahoma tornadoes: Rams quarterback Sam Bradford leading aid effort