Oklahoma State recruiting: Marcell Ateman tops the Cowboys' class
Receiver from Wylie, Texas, has always admired Dez Bryant and Justin Blackmon. On Wednesday, he'll sign with OSU in hopes of following in their footsteps.
STILLWATER — Marcell Ateman has always admired Dez Bryant and Justin Blackmon.
So why not attend the same school where those two players starred?
Photoview all 95 photos
NewsOK Related Articles
Ateman, a receiver from Wylie (Texas) East, is one of the headliners expected to sign with Oklahoma State Wednesday, joining Dallas Skyline's Ra’shaad Samples to form a duo of four-star pass-catchers that hope to be the next to thrive in the Cowboys’ Air Raid spread offense.
The pair originally looked like it would be a trio, before Tyler (Texas) John Tyler's Fred Ross, a longtime OSU commit, made a last-minute switch to Mississippi State Tuesday night.
“Just knowing they put out some good wide receivers like Dez Bryant and Justin Blackmon,” Ateman said. “People I look up to. Knowing they went to the NFL and did good, it’s like Oklahoma State is a good wide receiver school.”
Ateman fits the physical outside receiver mold, using his 6-4, 200-pound frame in high school to out-jump and out-muscle cornerbacks for the football.
That size is part of the reason Ateman’s first love was basketball. But by his junior year of high school, he was improving in football at a much faster rate. Soon after, he had more than 15 offers, including Texas Tech, Tennessee, Michigan, Baylor, Iowa State and Missouri.
Ateman pledged last May to the Cowboys and has remained solid since, despite former offensive coordinator Todd Monken’s departure for Southern Miss. That’s because his primary recruiters have been wide receivers coach Kasey Dunn and head coach Mike Gundy, and both have assured the Cowboys’ offensive system will not change no matter who is hired as the next coordinator.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 82322Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 14350Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 8268Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 7560Oklahoma tornadoes: Rams quarterback Sam Bradford leading aid effort
- 7513How to help tornado victims
- 6279Rock, pop, country acts give talents and time to help Oklahoma tornado victims
- 5999Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community