Dying Too Young: Why are Oklahoma’s children dying?
We launched a project on Sunday that appears to have made in impact on our community.
And that’s a good thing, because making a difference in our community is something we strive for with our journalistic efforts in the News and Information Center at OPUBCO Communications Group.
We launched “Dying Too Young” on Sunday and have pushed more traffic to it throughout the week. The project documents the more than 2,100 deaths of children in Oklahoma over the past few years – an alarmingly high number for our state.
This project has a little bit of everything:
- It has great reporting, led by our top investigative reporter, Nolan Clay. This project took months to organize and put together. Nolan didn’t write this piece up in an afternoon. To cover something like this with fairness and proper effectiveness, it takes months of behind-the-scenes work.
- It has a deep database, put together painstakingly by our database editor Paul Monies.
- It has a comments board for discussion, reaching more than 125 comments already.
- It has gripping videos from our video team, showcasing some chilling interviews of those affected by some of the deaths.
- It has documentation, with hundred of autopsy reports in PDF formats and bios or almost 100 of the children.
Take the time to see the reports. Then you can join our discussion and share your thoughts.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 12863Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 11549Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 5770Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 5166Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4505OU softball: Sooners inspired by Casey Angle, run-rule Texas A&M
- 4325Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 3991Oklahoma City pastor will face trial in fatal shooting of son-in law
- 3926How to help tornado victims
- 3623Oklahoma tornadoes: Moore tornado was ninth deadliest in Oklahoma history
- 3239Oklahoma tornadoes: Lack of storm shelters floors newcomers to Tornado Alley
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients