Share “Oklahoma news briefs, Feb. 8”

Oklahoma news briefs, Feb. 8

Oklahoma news briefs, Feb. 8
Modified: February 7, 2013 at 6:55 pm •  Published: February 8, 2013
Advertisement

STATE BRIEFS

OKLAHOMA CITY

Gambling trial delayed

The jury trial for Teddy Mitchell, two of his sons and six other men has been postponed to Aug. 13. The trial was set to begin April 9 in federal court in Oklahoma City. The defendants are accused of involvement in an illegal gambling operation. Prosecutors allege Mitchell, 58, made millions of dollars hosting illegal high-stakes poker games at his Oklahoma City home and illegally taking bets on sporting events. Defense attorneys contend Mitchell is a professional gambler who acted legally. U.S. District Judge David Russell ordered the delay Thursday after meeting with prosecutors and defense attorneys. It is the second time the trial has been delayed. Mitchell's attorneys asked for the delay, telling the judge they need more time to review more than 25,000 pages of information turned over by prosecutors.

NOLAN CLAY,

STAFF WRITER

LAWTON

Nightclub is off-limits

The commanding general at Fort Sill said soldiers can no longer visit a nightclub where a double-homicide occurred last month. Maj. Gen. Mark McDonald said soldiers must stay away from the Platinum Gentlemen's Club, where a soldier and another man died Jan. 20. Investigators have said Pfc. Jamar Mitchell, 20, died after being shot four times, and George Whitney II, 28, was shot dead by a security guard. It wasn't clear whether the men had an altercation or if Mitchell was a bystander. Another shooting was reported at the club in July. McDonald said he was placing the club off-limits to soldiers in an effort to protect the “health, welfare and safety” of his personnel. The order covers personnel assigned to Fort Sill permanently, temporarily or administratively.

ASSOCIATED PRESS

Continue reading this story on the...