Oklahoma scene: Keilani Ricketts throws no-hitter, OU opens softball season with two routs
The Sooners' power hitters account for six homers, including three by Lauren Chamberlain.
Oklahoma opened the softball season like a No. 2-ranked team probably should — with two dominating wins.
Keilani Ricketts threw a no-hitter and the Sooners' thumpers accounted for four homers as OU whipped Stanford 6-0 on Friday at the Kajikawa Classic in Tempe, Ariz. In a second game later in the day, Lauren Chamberlain hit two home runs to lead the Sooners to a 14-2 rout of Oregon State.
Ricketts, the 2012 USA Softball Player of the Year, dominated Stanford throughout the seven-inning opener. She walked three but struck out 14. Ricketts, Jessica Shults, Chamberlain and Arizona transfer Shelby Pendley all homered. Shults' homer was a three-run shot during the Sooners' five-run first inning.
Oregon State touched OU starting pitcher Michelle Gascoigne for two runs in the top of the first inning, but it was all Sooners after that. Chamberlain added her second and third homers of the season, and Gascoigne held the Beavers to one hit the rest of the way. OU won the second game in five innings on the mercy rule.
Oklahoma State opened its softball season by splitting two games at the Red Dirt Classic in St. George, Utah. The Cowgirls beat Weber State 2-1 in the opener, then Seattle trimmed OSU 3-2 in the second game. Kat Espinosa, Samantha Chrisman and Simone Freeman each pitched in the first game, holding Weber State to a run on two hits and one walk. The trio combined for eight strikeouts.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 15646Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 9491Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 8139Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 7458Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 7219Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 6377Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister
- 6374Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit