Barons notebook: Teammates pick up Yann Danis
Veteran Barons goaltender Yann Danis had a game he would like to forget Saturday night, but his teammates scored six third-period goals to rally for a 7-5 win.
Grand Rapids defenseman Brett Skinner, trying to kill a penalty, scored a shorthanded goal on a 130-foot shot from his own defensive zone late in the first period. Danis' stick initially stopped the puck, but the crowd of 4,277 gasped when it trickled slowly past the goal line.
“You see that about once a year,” said Barons coach Todd Nelson. “It even happens up in the National (Hockey) League.”
Danis allowed another soft goal that helped the Griffins lead 3-1 after two periods. Trying to keep a play alive, Gustav Nyquist poked at the puck in the crease. Once again, it trickled through Danis' legs.
“I'm sure he would like to have this (game) back,” Nelson said. “He's saved our bacon a lot of times. Tonight our guys pulled together and saved his.”
It was Danis' first start in a month. His only action since a Jan. 12 start with the Barons was playing the final two periods of Edmonton's lopsided loss to San Jose three weeks ago during his stint with the NHL club.
BARONS HAVE A REVAMPED DEFENSE
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 15391Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 9463Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 8117Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 7214Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 6364Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister
- 6332Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 6331Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit