NewsOK.com struggled through Tuesday afternoon
If you were on NewsOK.com yesterday afternoon or evening, you noticed something unusual:
NewsOK simply wasn’t responding like it should.
We noticed the problem at about 3:20 p.m., and our programmers, developers and server administrators immediately began investigating. The site was up and down intermittently through the next six or seven hours, but the same loading problems persisted (I could try to explain in further detail, but I’m sure I’d mess up the terminology and end up sounding silly).
By about 9:30 p.m., the site was back up and functioning properly. It’s been loading fine since then.
We apologize for the inconvenience to our users yesterday, as stories about Jessica Alba, the private school-public school debate in high school sports and weather stories highlighted the traffic we should have received. We know that delivering news and information is important to you. So now we have a decent back-up plan in case we experience similar problems. We will be able to deliver news if it happens again today.
Frankly, I’ve been working with NewsOK for almost 10 years, and I’ve never seen the source of any site performance issues be so elusive to our engineers. I watched as they systematically identified, investigated, tested and ruled out dozens of possible problems. Sometimes, bad things happen. We can only learn, prepare ourselves and move on.
Or it could be what one of our users hypothesized last night in a comment on an article about the issues:
I don’t think that was it, but we’ll investigate. Thanks.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 34667Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 26962Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 6958OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins
- 6745Wild hogs continue to be a growing menace across Oklahoma
- 4485OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 4208Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 3679College football: Coaches, athletes weigh in on NCAA's suspended recruiting proposals
- 3494Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 3437Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 3281Oklahoma softball: Keilani Ricketts and Sooners beat the heat as they hold off Arkansas
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients