Oklahoma Places piece brings back memories of a proposal on the rocks
Almost 10 years ago, I knelt on a large boulder in the rocky desert of Western Oklahoma and proposed marriage to my girlfriend.
I had planned it all day, but my nervousness postponed the proposal, and we kept hiking along until I finally made the move. By the time we headed back to camp, we realized we had gone further than we had intended and ran out of water. As a result, we became temporarily lost, partially dehydrated and completely exhausted on the walk back to camp.
But we survived and are still married. I still “joke” that I proposed in the middle of nowhere so I could have left her there if she had said no. (But we all know I was the one who would have ended up face down in a cave three weeks later).
I remembered that fine moment in my life as I read, watched and listened to Assistant News Editor Bob Doucette’s piece on the Charon’s Garden Wilderness Area – part of NewsOK.com’s series on Oklahoma Places.
Bob is a hiking and outdoors expert. By day, he edits stories, deals with reporters and organizes content for our daily news products, especially the stories we report on Oklahoma politics at the state Capitol. But when he takes the editing hat off, he becomes a hiker, backpacker, angler and skier — and he blogs about his adventures in his Out There blog as part of our ‘know it’ topic on Outdoor Recreation.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 101218Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 15357OKC Thunder: Kevin Durant tours Moore, meets with residents
- 13402Oklahoma tornadoes: ‘All I could do was sit there and hold her'
- 8724Line of storms brings flash floods to Oklahoma City area
- 8110How to help tornado victims
- 8098Oklahoma tornadoes: Love for Oklahoma generates big donation
- 8041Oklahoma tornadoes: Rams quarterback Sam Bradford leading aid effort
- 6720Oklahoma tornadoes: Oklahoma singer packs tour bus with donations for storm victims
- 6515Oklahoma tornadoes: Red Cross text donations not designated for Oklahoma
- 5990Oklahoma tornadoes: Tornado leaves family members in two hospitals and one dead
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients