An evening of breaking news in Edmond
I sat quietly at the Edmond Soccer Club field yesterday evening, awaiting the end of my 9-year-old’s soccer practice. The coach was talking to the team and about to release them. I sat on nearby bleachers watching my 5-year-old jump from bleacher to bleacher and waiting for him to fall and injure himself again.
Then, my cell phone buzzed.
7:16 p.m.: NewsOK.com Breaking News: Search under way in north Edmond for woman believed armed.
It was a text message from NewsOK’s breaking news team. That’s interesting, I thought, I’m sitting in North Edmond with two children in my care. Knowing that I could be affected, I clicked on the provided link in the text message and learned that police were searching for a woman a couple of miles from where I currently was.
I stored the knowledge away.
As we drove away from the fields, we pulled over as two fire trucks raced by. As I turned north … another buzz on my phone.
7:27 p.m.: NewsOK.com Breaking News: Edmond authorities in standoff negotiations with armed woman.
Wow! At a stoplight next to Lowe’s near Kelly Ave., and Covell Road in Edmond, I clicked on the link and learned that the woman was on the train tracks about a half-mile east of me.
A I approached Covell Road, I saw the previously mentioned fire trucks parked just east of Kelly, apparently (I concluded) to help set up a perimeter and keep people away.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 56820Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 14719Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 9122Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 7282Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 6520Rock, pop, country acts give talents and time to help Oklahoma tornado victims
- 6448How to help tornado victims
- 6374Carrie Underwood donates $1 million to Red Cross for disaster relief in wake of deadly Oklahoma tornadoes
- 6257Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 6000Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 5062Oklahoma tornadoes: Rams quarterback Sam Bradford leading aid effort
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients