Eleven years later: Remembering May 3, 1999
Eleven years ago today, I survived the most dangerous tornado anyone had ever seen.
I was in a utility closet in the middle of Moore, America. I actually thought there was a good chance I wouldn’t survive. It was scary. It was loud. And yes – it sounded like a freight train.
I was unharmed. The house I lived in (but didn’t own) was slightly damaged. But the neighborhood about three blocks to the north of us was destroyed. May 3, 1999 is one of the dozen or so days in my life I will never forget. I actually remember far more details than the sound of the tornado, but — I say again — it definitely sounded like a train.
Today, we asked a question to our friends on Facebook: Where were you on May 3, 1999? If you were anywhere near Oklahoma, you probably remember where you were.
We’ve already received dozens of responses to our Facebook question. Some of them are fascinating.
Barbara Wallace-Mcbroom: In Davis, watching it all unfold on tv. Praying for those in danger and still can’t believe how horrid it was. I take nothing in life for granted and now live in El Reno with a Basement!!
Videoview all videos
Photoview all photos
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 33746Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 15554Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 10129Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 9883Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 9568Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 8114Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 8089Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister
- 7436Carrie Underwood donates $1 million to Red Cross for disaster relief in wake of deadly Oklahoma tornadoes
- 6757Oklahoma tornadoes: Sooners bring back some smiles to Sydney Angle's teammates
- 6289UPDATE: Search continues for boy, 17, missing in Uncle John Creek in Kingfisher
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients