Weather preparation, sports page success and Huey Lewis highlight a week on NewsOK
I haven’t blogged recently. I’ve been saving it up for posts like this. Frankly, I’ve been so inspired by Darnell Mayberry’s thoughts about each Thunder game he covers (or even watches when he’s off duty) that I thought I’d try a similar approach with NewsOK.com.
- Our sports section received high praise over the holidays. NewsOK’s sports coverage was ranked among the 10 best in the nation. It’s the second straight year for this honor. Want to know how great this honor is? We’re in the same company as The New York Times, USA Today, Washington Post, Chicago Tribune and Boston Globe. Said sports editor Mike Sherman: “Whether it’s a story in The Oklahoman or a blog or video on NewsOK, we know we’re serving one of the nation’s most energized sports audiences. We’re honored that the APSE judges have liked what we’ve done for two straight years.”
- Bryan Painter has been all over the weather this week. Of course, he’s always all over the weather. His blog — aptly titled the “Oklahoma Weather Blog” — always ranks among our most popular blogs. He was the first to tell me this week that I better get my kids bundled up for the bus stop next week. Or maybe I’ll just drive them to the bus stop? We’ll see how it goes. But I’ll rely on Bryan’s blog to keep me up-to-date. Bryan blogs this stuff all while keeping up with all his other assignments. He’s a busy guy. We’re not sure when Bryan sleeps, but we’re smart enough not to ask.
- I was on the NewsOK Travel page earlier in the week. Yes, we have lots of great stories. But the blogs we keep on that page are really good. That’s why I re-built the page to showcase our two most worldly bloggers and give their content better treatment. Steve Barrymore writes “The Wanderer” blog. Steve used to work as an advertising manager at OPUBCO Communications Group. Now he seems to spend most of his time in various spots in Central and South America. Katya Kruglak writes “The Dusty Globe” blog. Their visits around the world are amazing. I don’t travel a whole lot and don’t really feel a great pull to travel a whole lot. But I’m certainly impressed by those who do.
- Steve Lackmeyer had an entertaining OKC Central blog post about Effie, The Skirvin and ESPN’s Bill Simmons. It’s worth a read, especially since Steve calls out Bill and openly questions his report. Said Steve: “Mr. Simmons, I’m calling you out. You’re dabbling in fiction writing with your latest BS report.”
- The political corruption story of the year got more interesting this week when Randy Terrill and Debbe Leftwich turned themselves in and appeared in court. It was all reported by Nolan Clay, who is great at covering these things — asking the right questions and getting the answers you want to know. The good news is that NewsOK has an ongoing coverage page that details this entire story. It’s a fascinating tale, and it will be even more interesting as it goes to trial. You just can’t make this stuff up.
- We’ve really improved our e-mail newsletters, and we’re adding some new ones very soon. If you organize your life with e-mail, I suggest signing up for our e-mail newsletters. We send out general news e-mails twice every day, but we also send e-mails for sports, business, entertainment and more. We’ll soon be adding daily obituary e-mails and weekly MOOD e-mails. Check out the options on our settings page — but remember you have to be logged in to sign up for these e-mails. And your registration e-mail address is the address these e-mails will go to.
Videoview all videos
Photoview all photos
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients