Column written for a chuckle leads to perplexing responses
I ran across Carrie Coppernoll’s blog post today.
(I found it via my Facebook feed, since I follow her content stream from my Facebook profile).
Her post provided excellent insight into the world of a news columnist. She was talking about the response she has gotten fron readers of her Saturday column, “Las Vegas, Oklahoma City are often confused.”
It was a tongue-in-cheek take on the flap last week created after Edmond’s former mayor was quoted as saying she hoped her suburban town wouldn’t allow digital billboards like they’ve done in Oklahoma City. The city of Las Vegas was mentioned in the former mayor’s quote, which led to Carrie’s sarcastic column.
Las Vegas and Oklahoma City marketing experts both said, “What happens here, stays here!” at the same time, but the Las Vegas people were the first to say “jinx.” Now they have the slogan, and we owe them a Coke.
I read her column Saturday morning while browsing NewsOK. I chuckled.
Then I read some of the comments. I chuckled some more.
It was pretty clear to me that Carrie was not reporting that Oklahoma City actually owes Las Vegas a Coke, but it wasn’t clear to all readers.
But I am glad to learn through Carrie’s latest post that she chuckled a little bit, as well.
(And if you want to know how to follow Carrie on Facebook, just visit her NewsOK page, devoted solely to articles and blogs that Carrie produces.)
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 17441Oklahoma storms: Profile of Life: Megan and Case Futrell
- 13900OKC Central: Architectural "Worsts"
- 11725'Firehouse' in Oklahoma City's Deep Deuce is set to become new home
- 11253Norman man threatens Oklahoma Gov. Fallin's 'child' and local sheriff in emails
- 8882Was Special Treatment Given in Oklahoma Vice Mayor DUI Traffic Stop?
- 7879Police shoot, kill man holding child hostage in Midwest City
- 7323Live blog: "The Voice" Season 4 live finale
- 7059Brad Lund granted two-year lease to Taft Stadium for soccer team
- 7006Red meat might be delicious, but not as nutritious
- 6837Live blog: "The Voice" Season 4 live finale - performance episode
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients