Girls basketball Player of the Week: Meredith Wolfley, OKC Storm
Although coach Theron Forshee has been emphasizing other areas this season, Wolfley can still score.
OKC Storm senior Meredith Wolfley is learning to get her teammates involved early.
Wolfley has been groomed to be a scorer, but first-year coach Theron Forshee has been emphasizing other areas this basketball season.
Videoview all videos
Feb 12The Bobcats' boys basketball team donned gold jerseys...
Photoview all photos
NewsOK Related Articles
But she can still score, as evident with her output last week in two wins against Lawton Eisenhower and Lawton High. She scored 19 and 21 points, respectively, and is The Oklahoman's Girls High School Basketball Player of the Week.
“He's asked me to really get my other teammates going, so I've been working on passes and making sure that they're getting their shots and feel confident in shooting,” Wolfley said. “We were struggling at scoring at first, so at the end of the game at Lawton Ike I took it because we were struggling.”
Against Lawton Ike, Wolfley also totaled eight rebounds and four steals. But against Lawton High last Tuesday, she played an even more complete game with six rebounds, three assists and two steals.
“It was nothing extravagant other than she's paid more attention to defense, she's paying more attention to trying to make her teammates better and utilizing them as much as possible,” Forshee said. “Scoring is such an ease for her to where working on other aspects of her game have been a focal point.”
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 21543Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10852Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 8707Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 8666Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 8648Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 7837Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 7718Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister