Softball, baseball bidding to return to Olympics
Here's a look at sports that were dropped from the Games and returned, and others that haven't come back.
The International Olympic Committee announced on Tuesday wrestling will be dropped for the 2020 Summer Games, which will open a spot for one sport.
Videoview all videos
Feb 12Uncut interview with John Smith on Tuesday's decision to...
Photoview all photos
NewsOK Related Articles
Seven sports are making bids to be included in the 2020 Games. Besides wrestling, the other sports are a combined bid from baseball and softball, karate, squash, roller sports, sport climbing, wakeboarding and wushu, a martial art.
The IOC limits the Summer Games to 28 sports.
In 2009, the IOC voted to reinstate golf and rugby in 2016 as the 27th and 28th sports.
Golf hasn't been an Olympic sport since 1904. Rugby was last played in the 1924 Olympics. Rugby will feature the seven-man version.
DISBANDED SPORTS THAT RETURNED
Archery: Dropped (1924); Returned (1972)
Golf: Dropped (1908); Will return (2016)
Handball: Dropped (1940); Returned (1972)
Judo: Dropped (1968); Returned (1972)
Rugby: Dropped (1928); Will return (2016)
Tennis: Dropped (1928); Returned (1988)
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 21543Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10852Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 8707Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 8666Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 8648Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 7837Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 7718Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister