After suffering through years of unrepaired ceilings and crumbling sidewalks, the 90-year-old former Calvary Baptist Church is getting a full makeover by its new owner, the Dan Davis Law Firm.
Oklahoman subscribers have access to this article. Unlock it below.What is this? Learn more.
Find out what’s latest in business,finance & entertainment
Historic neon sign is missing
As the Dan Davis Law Firm completes its renovation of the Calvary Baptist Church, its owners are determined either to find the original neon sign that stood in front of the landmark for decades or replicate it.
The late Phillip Davis, pastor of the former congregation, was criticized by Willa Johnson, now a county commissioner, and preservationists when he chose to remove the sign in 2001. At the time, he told The Oklahoman the sign was being put into storage and would eventually be brought back for display. More than a decade later, however, the sign’s location is unknown.
Contractor J.W. Peters asks that anyone with information about the sign’s whereabouts contact his company at 936-0000.
Construction of Calvary Baptist Church, 300 N Walnut, began in 1921 and was completed in 1923. A member of the Calvary congregation, the late Russell Benton Bingham, designed the structure.
Low arches, stained glass and symbolic representation of the word “Calvary” on a window’s mullions and rails characterize the building.