Softball: Oklahoma improves to 9-0; Oklahoma State splits two games
OU improves to 9-0
The top-ranked Oklahoma softball team improved its record to 9-0 with a pair of wins at the Campbell/Cartier Classic in San Diego on Saturday. OU beat Kentucky 11-0 in five innings, then defeated Washington 2-0.
OU catcher Jessica Shults drove in five runs, including a grand slam in the fifth inning, against Kentucky, while Keilani Ricketts and Michelle Gascoigne combined on the shutout.
Gascoigne struck out 10 against Washington. Lauren Chamberlain provided the offense with a two-run home run in the bottom of the third, her sixth of the year.
The Sooners conclude play in the tournament with an 11 a.m. Sunday game against Notre Dame.
Cowgirls split pair
The Oklahoma State softball team beat Dayton 4-2 and suffered a 1-0, eight-inning loss to Nebraska-Omaha at the Lovelace Invitational in Denton, Texas.
OSU pitcher Kat Espinosa struck out 11 batters in 7 1/3 innings against UNO, but she allowed a run in the eighth to take the loss.
OSU's Taylor Woodall hit a grand slam against Dayton, while Cowgirl pitcher Simone Freeman struck out 12.
OSU faces Iowa at 11:30 a.m. Sunday to wrap up tournament play.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 35920Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 15377Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 9806Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 9680Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 9189Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 7926Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 7748Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister