College football: Which signees could have the impact of players like Calvin Barnett or Damien Williams?
Every year, there are special acquisitions that help their team right away. Which 2013 signees will make a big impact this coming fall?
Signing Day is often a time for college football programs to look toward the more distant future.
But every year, there are special acquisitions that help their team right away.
Photoview all photos
NewsOK Related Articles
At OSU, Calvin Barnett became an immediate starter at defensive tackle and the Big 12 Defensive Newcomer of the Year. Damien Williams became Oklahoma's leading rusher. TCU's Devonte Fields was arguably the best defensive player in the Big 12 as a true freshman.
Which 2013 signees will make a similar impact this coming fall?
At OU, Hatari Boyd could step into a starting safety role, while junior college transfer Quincy Russell could help on the defensive line.
At OSU, the Cowboys signed a pair of four-star playmakers at wide receiver in Marcell Ateman and Ra'Shaad Samples and have two early enrollees in Sam Wren and Naim Mustafaa who should challenge for starting spots at defensive end.
Meanwhile, Texas continued its tradition of bringing in blue chip recruits; now the task is to use them to create blue chip teams. Notre Dame, which hosts OU on Sept. 28, reeled in the nation's third-best recruiting class following its undefeated regular season and appearance in the national championship game. And Mississippi State, which opens against OSU at Reliant Stadium in Houston, created some pre-Signing Day drama when Fred Ross, who had long been committed to the Cowboys, switched late to the Bulldogs.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 51863Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 14915Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 9511Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 7908Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 7474Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 6783Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 6733Rock, pop, country acts give talents and time to help Oklahoma tornado victims