Oklahoma names first black Speaker of the House
Here is some info from the state House of Representatives, along with some photos:
OKLAHOMA CITY – House Speaker-elect T.W. Shannon was overwhelmingly elected by his peers as the next Speaker of the House of Representatives during “Organization Day” today at the state Capitol.
In his acceptance speech following the vote, Speaker Shannon offered a glimpse of the Republican caucus agenda for the upcoming session, honing in on workers compensation reform, lowering the tax burden on hardworking Oklahomans and shoring up funding to maintain state assets.
“I am humbled by the confidence of my peers to lead our state legislature and promote a pro-family, low tax, economic growth agenda,” said Shannon, R-Lawton. “We were sent here by the people of Oklahoma to implement the type of government that will create jobs, reduce burdensome regulations on businesses, expand individual freedom and push back against a federal government that habitually oversteps its bounds set forth by the Constitution.”
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 12863Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 11549Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 5770Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 5166Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4505OU softball: Sooners inspired by Casey Angle, run-rule Texas A&M
- 4325Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 3991Oklahoma City pastor will face trial in fatal shooting of son-in law
- 3926How to help tornado victims
- 3623Oklahoma tornadoes: Moore tornado was ninth deadliest in Oklahoma history
- 3239Oklahoma tornadoes: Lack of storm shelters floors newcomers to Tornado Alley
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients