R.I.P. Anthony Hartfield Jr.
I remember spotting Anthony Hartfield Jr. walking through the halls of U.S. Grant High School nearly a year ago.
He was the kind of smiley kid who was a little reserved, like he didn’t know if it was OK to laugh with new adults around. He reminded me right away of my little brother, who tucks in his lips when he’s suppressing a grin. They’re funny people who look like they’re about to burst into laughter during a midterm or church or a movie theater. But they’ll keep it cool long enough for the grownups to leave the room.
I met Anthony while writing a story about the dropout rate at U.S. Grant, which has the highest rate in Oklahoma City Public Schools. About 1 in 10 student’s don’t make it. A new principal was working to right the ship. Anthony was positive about this school and positive about his future. He had been accepted to college.
It knocked the wind out of me.
I only met this kid for a few minutes last year, and he made an impression on me. How badly must all of his former classmates and teachers feel? How badly must that school be hurting?
Police don’t know why this happened; a motive is unclear. The best they can suspect right now is a burglary gone wrong. My heart aches.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 15391Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 9463Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 8117Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 7214Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 6364Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister
- 6332Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 6331Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 5818Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 5611Oklahoma tornadoes: Sooners bring back some smiles to Sydney Angle's teammates
- 5224UPDATE: Search continues for boy, 17, missing in Uncle John Creek in Kingfisher
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients