Perkins man charged with child abuse after boy shows up at school with bruises
A 9-year-old boy told police he was beaten with a paddle because he is an OU fan and his parents like OSU.
PERKINS — A man charged with child abuse in Payne County paddled his 9-year-old so hard that he left bruises from the child's knees to his lower back, according to a probable cause affidavit from Perkins police.
Gannon Wade Mendez, 42, turned himself in at the Payne County jail Tuesday. He is charged with felony child abuse. The boy told police he was paddled because his parents are Oklahoma State University fans and he told children at school he likes the University of Oklahoma.
“We dispute the facts that are contained in the information,” said Cheryl Ramsey, Mendez's attorney. “We are not going to try the case in the press. We will try the case in court.”
The boy's third-grade teacher told police the boy got in trouble at school Jan. 29 for teasing another boy whose father is an OSU coach. Gannon and Angie Mendez were informed of the situation that day.
Their son missed the next day of school and showed up Jan. 31 with bruises covering his back side, according to the affidavit. A teacher saw the bruises, and authorities were brought in to investigate.
The boy told police he has been in trouble with his parents before for liking OU over OSU and said his parents made him get rid of his OU clothes.
See our commenting and posting policy.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 21543Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10852Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 8707Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 8666Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 8648Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 7837Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 7718Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister