OKC Thunder: Kendrick Perkins to miss Wednesday game with knee sprain as trade talks surface
KENDRICK PERKINS -- The Thunder center will miss Wednesday night's game in Houston with a knee sprain as a report surfaced out of Phoenix about trade talks involving Perkins and the Suns.
HOUSTON -- Kendrick Perkins will not play Wednesday night against the Houston Rockets after spraining his right knee in Tuesday’s practice.
The starting center for the Oklahoma City Thunder is being listed as day-to-day with the injury, but it isn’t believed to be serious.
Perkins was seen sitting on the sideline at Wednesday morning’s shoot-around receiving treatment from the team’s medical staff. When he rose to gather his belongings before exiting the ToyotaCenter, Perkins moved slowly and walked with a pronounced limp.
“We’ll see how he feels tomorrow when we go back to OKC,” said Thunder coach Scott Brooks. “We’ll evaluate it tomorrow.”
News of the injury arrived on the same morning that a report in the ArizonaRepublic said the Thunder and Suns were engaged in trade discussions for Perkins over the All-Star break. The report said the Thunder would receive Suns center Marcin Gortat and forward P.J. Tucker in a discussed deal in exchange for Perkins, rookie Jeremy Lamb and a first-round pick.
A team official said Perkins’ injury is legitimate and essentially dismissed the notion that it had anything to do with Wednesday morning’s report.
Thursday’s 2 p.m. trade deadline, though, is quickly approaching and again it’s bringing its annual amount of angst over what, if anything, might unfold.
“I’ve been here six years now, and you’re never shocked about what happens in the NBA because anything can happen in the last hour,” said Kevin Durant. “So I’m never shocked…We’re just waiting to see what happens.
“I like where we are. We’re 39-14. If you want to make big changes to that, I guess. But I like where we are right now. We’ll see what happens. You never know in this league.”
News Photo Galleriesview all
VIDEOS FROM NBA TV
Buy Tickets View all
- 10801Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 10490Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10422Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 9824Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 6498Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 4191Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4093Oklahoma tornadoes: 27 remain hospitalized from tornadoes