Oklahoma basketball: Sooner women pick up program's 700th all-time win
Aaryn Ellenberg scored 18 points as OU beat Kansas State 72-57.
NORMAN — Oklahoma coach Sherri Coale saw her team’s long-lost offensive rhythm return during Wednesday’s second half.
Videoview all videos
Feb 20Sooner women pick up program's 700th win in 39 years.
Photoview all 11 photos
“Sharing the ball, changing sides of the floor,” Coale said. “Just looking more confident, more poised with each and every possession along the way.”
The Sooners snapped their only losing streak of the season Wednesday, topping Kansas State 72-57 at Lloyd Noble Center to secure the 39-year old program’s 700th all-time victory.
Junior guard Aaryn Ellenberg led the Sooners (19-7 overall, 9-4 Big 12) with 18 points. Senior forward Joanna McFarland added 15 points and 10 rebounds, and junior center Nicole Griffin scored 14.
The Sooners’ two-game skid began Feb. 14, when they lost a tough, heartbreaking contest to Iowa State. Then in its last outing at Kansas, Oklahoma came out sluggish, missed shots and fell too far behind to come back to mount a second-half comeback.
Wednesday, though, it was OU’s opponent that struggled to make shots early. Kansas State hit only 7 of its 34 field-goal attempts in the first half, allowing the Sooners to take a 36-21 lead into the break.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 20835Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 17666Oklahoma City Thunder: Amnesty Kendrick Perkins?
- 12055Rockets guard Patrick Beverley bombarded with hateful Tweets after Thunder get eliminated
- 10703Rx drug bills sent to Oklahoma governor
- 9067Report: OSU blocking Wes Lunt from transferring to the SEC, Big 12 and Southern Miss
- 8577Tulsa man tells police he smashed woman's head in self-defense
- 8462Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments