Rose State College hosts Oklahoma Student Inventors Exposition
Students from across Oklahoma participated in the Oklahoma Student Inventors Exposition at Rose State College in Midwest City.
MIDWEST CITY — Rose State College was host to aspiring young inventors during the Oklahoma Student Inventors Exposition, also known as the “invention convention.” The competition was open to students in grades kindergarten through 12.
The competition is a brainchild of former public school teacher and Rose State College Regent Betty J.C. Wright and inventor/businessman Julian Taylor, who wanted to provide a way for students to use their math, science and creative-thinking skills.
Wright said 214 students participated statewide, with 162 entering projects in the competition on Tuesday.
The purpose of the exposition has been to foster creativity, problem-solving, inventive thinking and ingenuity, said Wright, the coordinator.
Grand prize winner was Genesis Franks, a fourth-grader at Nichols Hills Elementary, for her invention titled “Quick Response to Bullying and Stranger Danger.”
Division I winner was Megan Cox, of Wayland Bonds Elementary in Moore, for “Baby-All-In-One,” and Division II winner was Victoria Crynes, of Jenks High School, for her invention, “Alternative Hospital Gown.”
For a complete list of winners, go to okstudentinventors.org.
Winners received cash prizes and trophies. Prizes also were awarded to their schools and teachers.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 10801Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 10490Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10422Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 9824Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 6498Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 4191Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4093Oklahoma tornadoes: 27 remain hospitalized from tornadoes