Oklahoma State University-Oklahoma City to offer safety course for three-wheelers
OSU-OKC will begin offering safety training for drivers of three-wheelers like the Can-Am Spyder in May. Three-wheelers are growing in popularity, especially among older riders.
Don Baker wanted to ride with his son, Daniel, but a traditional motorcycle wasn't an option for the 65-year-old disabled Vietnam War veteran.
The Edmond father and son found an alternative in the Can-Am Spyder, a three-wheeler that lets them have a motorcycle-like ride without worrying about tipping over. But Daniel Baker was frustrated that he couldn't find a rider safety course for three-wheelers.
Oklahoma State University-Oklahoma City will fill that gap this summer by offering a training course specifically for three-wheelers like the Can-Am Spyder. The school's Center for Safety and Emergence Preparedness has purchased a Can-Am Spyder and is training instructors who will begin offering courses in May.
“I've already taken two safety courses for my regular motorcycle, and the Spyders aren't allowed in the regular safety courses,” Daniel Baker said. “I've actually been wanting to look up and find a safety course for a three-wheel motorcycle. I definitely want to take my dad.”
Daniel Baker decided to buy a motorcycle in 2011 so he could join the Patriot Guard, a group of motorcyclists who shield family members from protesters who show up at military funerals.
“I had a couple of scary moments on that motorcycle,” Baker said. “There were a number of times where I was worried that other motorists didn't see me.”
He began looking into three-wheelers and bought one in November.
“It's much safer, and I'll be honest, I love the attention it gets,” Daniel Baker said. “I get all kinds of looks on it. People love them. I've had kids tell me it looks like a Transformer.”
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 14605Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 9594Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 8537Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 8009Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 6980Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 6486Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 6299Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister