Oklahoma City Thunder: Kevin Durant finds different way to help team win
Kevin Durant didn't have a good shooting night in Oklahoma City's win over the Bulls, but he grabbed 16 rebounds and had six assists.
Kevin Durant grabbed a rebound 15 seconds into the game. Then he kept grabbing rebounds. Five in the first 5 1/2 minutes. Ten by halftime. Sixteen through three quarters.
Videoview all videos
Photoview all 24 photos
NewsOK Related Articles
Of course, rebounds were plentiful in the Thunder's 102-72 rout of the Bulls on Sunday night. Chicago missed 38 shots in the first half and 51 through three quarters, which is all Durant played.
But still, 16 rebounds is a fair amount on a night when Serge Ibaka and Kendrick Perkins were on the ornery side themselves. Ibaka had five rebounds the first nine minutes; Perk had five rebounds the first 8 1/2 minutes.
When Durant wasn't battling Bulls for errant shots, he was battling his fellow frontcourt mates.
So despite missing 13 of his first 17 shots, Durant still had a mighty impact on the game. Six assists and 16 rebounds are nice subsidiaries for the NBA's leading scorer.
“It says a lot about him,” said Chicago coach Tom Thibodeau. “Durant didn't have a great shooting night (six of 19). He missed some shots he normally makes. But what he did do, he went to another area.
“That's how you help your team win. That's critical. The nights in which you don't shoot the ball like you normally do, you do other things to help your team win.
“You set your teammates up, you rebound the ball and play great defense, and that's what he's doing. He's showing what a complete player he is.”
Of course, LeBron James is ruining that complete-player tag for all other players. Hard to laud a game like Durant's Sunday night when LeBron has uncorked a series of monster performances.
But truth is, Durant is better than ever. He's scoring like always, shooting better than ever, rebounding forcefully and passing well. And when Durant's shot is off, he's still a dominant player for the Thunder.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
VIDEOS FROM NBA TV
Buy Tickets View all
- 35920Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 15377Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 9806Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 9680Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 9189Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 7926Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 7748Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister