Oklahoma City Thunder signs veteran guard Derek Fisher
OKLAHOMA CITY THUNDER -- The Thunder has signed Derek Fisher for the playoff run for the second year in a row.
Derek Fisher must have made a nice impression the first time around.
Because the Thunder are bringing the 16-year veteran and five-time NBA champion back again, signing Fisher to a contract on Monday that stretches through the rest of the season.
Videoview all videos
Feb 25Fan favorite Derek Fisher is making his way back to OKC...
Feb 21The Oklahoman's Sports team talks about the NBA Trade...
Photoview all 6 photos
NewsOK Related Articles
“We are excited to welcome Derek back to the Thunder organization," general manager Sam Presti said. "He contributed to our team in various ways last season, and we are looking forward to him joining us again.”
Fisher’s signing swallows up OKC’s last remaining roster spot, solidifying the team’s makeup for the stretch run, barring an unforeseeable release.
But what remains to be seen is how much Fisher will impact the on-court rotation.
Last season, after Eric Maynor went down with a season-ending knee injury, Fisher came in and took all of the backup point guard minutes, shoving Reggie Jackson to the end of the bench.
In 20 postseason games, Fisher actually got more minutes (22.3) than fan favorite Nick Collison (16.6) and the same as starter Thabo Sefolosha.
But this year, with Jackson a bit more confident and effective (and Fisher one year older – he’s now 38), some would prefer Jackson maintain his current role.
That’ll be revealed in the upcoming days (when Fisher and Scott Brooks are made available to the media) and weeks (when Brooks molds his stretch rotation with Fisher and Ronnie Brewer now in the fold).
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 20729Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 17578Oklahoma City Thunder: Amnesty Kendrick Perkins?
- 11978Rockets guard Patrick Beverley bombarded with hateful Tweets after Thunder get eliminated
- 10703Rx drug bills sent to Oklahoma governor
- 8989Report: OSU blocking Wes Lunt from transferring to the SEC, Big 12 and Southern Miss
- 8551Tulsa man tells police he smashed woman's head in self-defense
- 8339Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments