High school basketball: Tony Aska Jr. leads Coyle to Class B state tournament
Coyle's senior forward has competed in rodeos at State Fair Arena, but will play his first basketball game there on Thursday.
Coyle's best basketball player, and perhaps the best player in Class B, Tony Aska Jr., is used to competing in State Fair Arena — but as a cowboy, not a Bluejacket.
Photoview all photos
NewsOK Related Articles
Aska has participated in several rodeos in the building, but he's never played a basketball game in the Big House.
On Thursday, Aska finally gets his chance as the 6-6 senior forward leads No. 5 Coyle into the Class B state tournament for the first time since 2008.
Aska admits he will have butterflies before Thursday's game, but he does before every game.
“I get nervous every time,” Aska said. “I get nervous when I get on top of a horse and I have been riding horses for 17 years.”
His opponents would seemingly be more nervous. Aska is recording a double-double about every time he steps on the basketball floor, averaging 20 points and 12 rebounds per game. And he's usually playing just three quarters for the 23-4 Bluejackets.
In Coyle's Class B regional final victory against Asher, Aska had a triple-double with 18 points, 13 rebounds and 10 blocks.
Aska, who has 97 blocks on the season, is being recruited by several junior colleges and Division II schools in the state. He has grown 5 inches taller in the last two years.
“His wingspan is incredibly long,” Coyle coach Josh Sumrall said. “Obviously, his presence on the floor is a big deal for us, and it allows us to do some things that not everybody gets to do.”
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 17917Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 11872Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 10569OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 10552Oklahoma City Thunder: Amnesty Kendrick Perkins?
- 10275Rockets guard Patrick Beverley bombarded with hateful Tweets after Thunder get eliminated
- 9958Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 9874Report: OSU blocking Wes Lunt from transferring to the SEC, Big 12 and Southern Miss