Class B girls: Lomega holds off Leedey in double OT
Taylor Mendell delivered in double-overtime, making the game-winning free throw with 3.9 seconds remaining to keep the defending-champion Raiders alive with a 63-62 victory.
MIDWEST CITY — Taylor Mendell had her redemption.
The Lomega junior missed what would have been the game-winning free throw with 18.5 seconds remaining in regulation of Thursday's Class B quarterfinals against Leedey at Carl Albert High School.
NewsOK Related Articles
But she delivered in double-overtime, making the game-winning free throw with 3.9 seconds remaining to keep the defending-champion Raiders alive with a 63-62 victory.
“It felt good just to make it up to my teammates,” Mendell said.
Lomega, ranked No. 2, plays the winner of Deer Creek-Lamont and Hammon on Friday at 6 p.m. in State Fair Arena.
Mendell finished with 28 points, 11 of which came in the second quarter as an 11-0 run to tie the game at 22-all.
“She basically got us back in the game,” Lomega coach Kevin Lewallen said. “She's done that all year and she's done it for three years.
“I wanted nobody else on the line.”
Lomega (25-7) also got 22 points from senior Ashley LaGasse.
Jessie Harrel attempted the final 3-pointer in double-overtime for Leedey (21-8). She finished with 16 points, and her sister Sydney Harrel led the team with 20.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 90701Oklahoma weather: Severe storm updates
- 63579Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 37826Oklahoma sucker-punched by second round of twisters
- 34889Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad
- 13810Oklahoma City tornado so large, may not be recognized, officials say
- 12671Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 12126Several kids pulled out of Oklahoma school rubble alive